We were established in 1997 by Andrew Stewart and Trevor Hockenhull. It was started with a goal of being the distributor for Elf racing fuels and lubricants as both had a passion for motorsport. To their delight they were offered the exclusive rights to us for the Elf brand in New Zealand. In true Kiwi fashion they took the ball and ran with it.
In those early days we were based in a small building in Wiri and distributed the product throughout the country from our warehouse. We were known as Elf lubricants as that was all we did. Motorsport and the Automotive industry were our primary focus.
- 1999 – We added to our sales force on the road to start promoting our products and services to the greater North Island. This was the start of us penetrating the commercial and off road market with the Elf brand.
- 2000 – Elf and Total merged as a corporate entity. This lead to us also accessing the Total range of products and distributing parts of the range in addition to Elf. The Total range was eventually phased out of our range (2010) as there was already another distributor of this product in NZ.
- 2002 – Saw us open our 2nd branch in Mt Maunganui. This further increased our ability to supply the North Island market with great service and products. At this stage we had branched out into most segments of the NZ market, albeit predominantly in the North Island.
- 2004 – We were appointed the sole agent of Lubmarine in New Zealand. This range was a specially catered towards the heavy marine industry such as Coastal Fishing, Container Vessels and Military Vessels etc. This part of our company has now grown to be a separately run part of our group still owned by founder Andrew Stewart.
- 2006 – We opened our first branch in Christchurch. This really put us on the map, as finally we could compete with the then “major” oil companies in NZ due to true nationwide coverage. We also put more back office staff in place to cope with the ever increasing technical demands from the market.
- 2008 – We opened our brand new purpose built Head Office and Distribution Centre in Auckland. This became the permanent home for our growing Sales, Marketing and Technical Management Team.
- 2011 – Our sales, staff and market share reached a milestone for us. We had now grown by a staggering 1000% in sales turnover compared to our first years turnover. This coincided with our launch of the Vertex Brand.
- 2013 – We opened our newest branch in Palmerston North. This once again helped plug more service and support staff, not to mention product in regions closer to our customers in the Lower North Island.
- 2014 – We built and opened a new flagship Southern Head Office and Distribution Centre in Christchurch.
- 2015 – We know have dedicated Technical Teams around the country, Account Managers in every major region of NZ, a fully fledged Private Label and Export Division, a Marine Division and also a Manufacturing Interest. This is something to be proud of for a privately owned Kiwi company.
- 2018 – We opened a branch in Nelson to accommodate growing demand in the region, and to be closer to our customers.
- 2019 – We opened a brand new custom designed Head Office, Distribution, and Production Facility in Takanini.
- 2020 – Vertex attained official OEM approval on multiple products in our range. This includes API, ACEA, Cummins, MB, Mack, Renault, Ford, Volvo etc.
When Lubricants NZ was established in 1997, private oil companies were new. It was very much the “wild frontier” and the possibilities seemed endless. To founder, Andrew Stewart, it represented freedom — a chance to break away from the restrictions imposed on the market by a select few “major” companies.
All these years later, things haven’t changed that much. We’re still excited by “Everything Lube®” and, in fact, we believe our enthusiasm is one of the things that sets us apart from other oil companies.
We have been servicing the NZ market for almost 20 years and plan to be around supplying the same, if not better, service for the next 20 years.
Lubricants and its related products are all we do and specialise in.
What sets us apart is we are a kiwi business that is passionate about oil. We listen to our customers, anticipate their needs and bring the best solution to market as soon as possible